https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54269144

12 0

Image caption Studies have found that eating too much liquorice can cause a dangerous drop in potassium levels. A construction worker in the US state of Massachusetts was killed by his liquorice habit, doctors say. The man, who has not been named but was 54 years old, ate about one-and-a-half bags of black liquorice every day. He had suffered no symptoms before suddenly going into cardiac arrest in a fast food restaurant. Describing the man's case in the New England Journal of Medicine , his doctors said the glycyrrhizic acid in liquorice was to blame. "We are told that this patient has a poor diet and eats a lot of candy. Could his illness be related to candy consumption?" Dr Elazer R Edelman said. Full story

24 September

wait