https://news.sky.com/story/australian-man-sam-ballard-who-was-left-paralysed-after-eating-a-slug-dies-aged-28-11545373

44 0

A man who was left paralysed after eating a slug as a dare at a birthday party has died at the age of 28. Sam Ballard, from Sydney, Australia, was 19 in 2010 when he ate the creature which was infected with rat lungworm. Mr Ballard, who was a keen rugby player, fell into a coma for 420 days after contracting a strand of meningitis called eosinophilic meningoencephalitis. Most people are said to recover from the illness, but he suffered a severe infection in his brain. Mr Ballard, who used a wheelchair, was left as a paraplegic meaning he was paralysed from the waist down. He died aged 28 on Friday after years of medical complications. Rat lungworm is a parasite found in rodents which passes its larvae into the animals' faeces. Full story

5 November

wait